Officially became a member of the fabulous and forty club yesterday. I was inspired to share 40 things you should know about thrift shopping -- why you should, how to, where to, and what to buy!
Why You Should Thrift Shop
- It's good for the environment. Textile trash is 13 million tons per year.
- You can find quality clothing really cheap.
- Every style imaginable can be found secondhand.
- Someone else's trash could be your treasure.
- It's an awesome feeling hunting and finding the good stuff.
- You become part of a community. There's a whole "thrifting" language!
- You can resell merchandise and make a profit.
- Trends repeat and you will likely find your "it".
- Good karma. Some thrift stores support charitable organizations.
- Great way to discover your own personal style.
- Bring your patience.
- Shop off peak times if you're new. During the daytime on weekdays are less busy.
- Go often.
- Join the mailing list of all the stores you visit.
- Shop on sale days for more savings.
- Thrift with a friend.
- Ignore size labels. Try it on.
- Inspect your finds thoroughly before purchasing. Returns are not always accepted.
- If you like it, put it in your cart. It's usually a one of kind item.
- Carry cash. Credit is not always excepted.
Where to Thrift Shop
- Start with your local charity shop like Goodwill or Salvation Army.
- Savers are usually clean and well organized and packed with brands you recognize.
- Don't forget to check those estate sales out!
- Gsalr.com will find garage sales near your location.
- Attend or throw your own swap party.
- eBay always has it.
- Vintage lovers can check out Etsy.
- If you tag #thrifting on Instagram, online sellers will follow you.
- Now plugging The Thriftanista Closet where you can find an affordably priced curated selection.
- Visit the The Thrift Shopper or FB groups like Thriftanista Social Club and Thrifting Atlanta to find hidden gems in your area.
- Designer bags like Louis Vuitton, Prada, and Bottega Veneta.
- Culottes, rompers and other oddities.
- Your perfect jeans.
- Vintage clothes and accessories.
- Costume jewelry because they are abundant.
- Midi skirts and every trend imaginable.
- Sequins in all colors and sizes.
- The wardrobe basics.
- Supplies for diy and refashion projects.
- Thrift store shoes even new or nearly new Tory Burch.
I'm wearing a couple of my favorite thrift finds -- a vintage maxi skirt from Salvation Army. I've worn it thrice now on the blog in the short time I've had it. I received so many compliments on it yesterday while waiting in line for an estate sale. Yes, that was my birthday fun!
Purchased 3 pairs of Ferragamo shoes. Look for those in The Thriftanista Closet real soon.
Have a great weekend!