The Birth Story - Part 1 | Thriftanista in the City


The Birth Story - Part 1

It has been 12 weeks since the event. I've been wanting to write all the details down but time got away from me so I'll just write what I can remember.

It all started on August 27th at 9:02 am. I was a week past my due date and was settling in with the idea that I would be pregnant forever. I turned on the tv to watch a DVR'd Project Runway episode. I sat on the couch with my legs tucked under me and heard a pop and felt wetness. I ran to the bedroom to grab my cell and text Him (priorities). I continued to leak heavily and decided I should probably sit on the toilet first and stop making a mess. I got myself together and sent the text. I then called the midwife and doula and gave them a heads up. Lastly, I called my mom because she wanted to be the first to know. I told her it was beginning and not to call me (like she did everyday towards the end of my pregnancy). I would call her as soon as Little Miss was born.

I showered but continued to leak heavily but did not have any contractions. I'm not exactly sure when the contractions started but I do remember Him taking me to Jimmy Johns to pick up lunch, I remember trying to rest up but not being able to. I was too excited and ready for things to get going. Evening came and I had been trying to rest for a few hours. Not being able to sleep, we went for a walk around the neighborhood and I had to stop every 2 - 3 minutes to contract. The were strong but not unbearable and didn't last very long so I knew I was still in the early stages.

After the walk I tried resting again. I laid in the bed and told Him to just check on me periodically to see if I was ok. I decided to time the contractions and was at 4 to 6 mins lasting 30 secs to a minute. Again strong but not unbearable. Around 9 o'clock I was ready to go the hospital not because I was at a breaking point but because I was worried about my water being broken for so long. The midwife said it was ok if I wanted to stay at home a while longer but I just wanted to get the show on the road.

We arrived at the hospital at 10 pm. I was escorted to a room and the midwife wanted to check to make sure my water had broken. Her test was inconclusive so she had to do a more invasive procedure (owwee). As she was about to "go in", she said "There's the head lots of curly black hair. You're definitely in labor." Well, duh. I was about 5 - 6 cm dilated and still the pain was not unbearable so I knew it wasn't time. My doula arrived and started to write. I was confused about why she wasn't helping me but I was focused on having a baby so I just went breathing, sitting in shower, and rolling  on a birthing ball and this is where I stopped looking at the clock. No sense of time at this point.

To be continued....


Ellen Stewart (aka Ellie/El/e) said...

I'm laughing 'cause Mac was 17 days overdue, but after my water broke (and I took a shower), we walked to the hospital (two blocks) and the first nurse told us I wasn't in labor...

Ah the memories!

Can't wait to see how it all turns out. Oh wait...

Help! Mama Remote... said...

Isn't it the most eventful day af a woman life? All my children were 2weeks overdue. I don't expect them to come any other way. Excited to hear the rest of your story.

You May Also Like