Even though I have quite a stash of african print fabrics, I am not likely to sew up my own clothes anytime soon. A friend was kind enough to have 2 outfits custom made for me. I emailed my vision and measurements in just enough time for my lovelies to make the Ghana to US journey with a visiting relative.
I wanted styles that would be functional for everyday SAHM wear and could be worn for a night out. I've worn ankara skirts with a vintage blouse, a simple tee and even with my beloved sequins.
I decided to have a shirtdress made because it's a style that compliments my body well. The other outfit is a top / skirt set that I'll show you later. It was also made with my body type in mind.
I love ankara! Here's why:
5 Reasons to Love African Print
- They come in a great mix of colors and can act as a guide to help you decide what colors look good together.
- The fabric is very comfortable and breathable. It is washable too! I would recommend dry cleaning though to keep the colors nice and vibrant.
- The prints are pretty timeless.
- The print makes a statement and you don't need anything else to stand out. I'd totally be ok with a big jeweled statement necklace too.
- It suits a variety of tastes and sizes. Everyone looks good in ankara!
It's not everyday that a custom made dress appears out of nowhere so if you're interested in african print dresses, I would recommend:
- checking out ready to wear designers like Modahnik or Boxing Kitten.
- find a dressmaker or tailor in your neighborhood.
- look at online shops like ASOS or Etsy.
- if you're crafty, do it yourself!
***in other news***
Friday is the last day to enter the $150 Amazon gift card giveaway.
Looking for vintage Salvatore Ferragamo pumps? Check me out on ebay!