I've been in Chicago all weekend enjoying my hometown. Thrifting happened, of course. I'll share my haul later in the week when I get back on schedule but for now here's my should-be-famous meatless Sloppy Joes!
I wasn't a lentil fan until I started making sloppy joes with them. It's still the only way I can eat them. It's a good comfort food as it is hearty and feels you up. It's slightly sweet and slightly spicy and tastes very much like the classic meat version.
It's kid friendly too. Violet loves it and she rarely approves of my meal choices.
Slow Cooker Lentil Sloppy Joes
Yield: 6 sandwiches
- 2 cup lentils
- 2 cups unsalted vegetable stock
- 1 14 ounce jar pasta sauce or tomato sauce (I've partnered with Ragu to get the word out about the heritage story and discovered it's delicious in non pasta meals too!)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 4 tablespoons molasses
- 2 tablespoons olive oil for sauteing onions
- 3 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground sage
- a pinch basil
- a pinch cayenne pepper (optional)
- Fry the onions until soft and slightly brown.
- Throw everything in the crop pot and cook for 4-6 hours on low.
- Serve on buns and enjoy!
What's your favorite meatless meal?